»» CURRENT STAFF
I. GENERAL INTRODUCTION
Department of Food Crop Sciences, Faculty of Agronomy, Vietnam National University of Agriculture was established at the same time with the University. Since its foundation, Department of Food Crop Sciences has been entered and separated several times with other departments in Faculty of Agronomy. Despite the change in organization, lecturers and staffs in charge of food crop science have always been independent working groups.
For over the last 60 years, generations of staffs have contributed a great effort in promoting science-technology and training the human resources for Vietnamese agriculture.
Postal address: Department of Food Crop Sciences – Faculty of Agronomy – Vietnam National University of Agriculture, Trau Quy – Gia Lam – Hanoi – Vietnam
E-mail: email@example.com Fax: 024.38276473; Tel: 024.38767360
II. RESEARCH FACILITIES
Department of Food Crop Sciences has sufficient research facilities to conduct in specific researches. Especially, the laboratory supported by JICA with equipment for measuring plant morphology and physiology such as Winzhizo, Portable photosynthesis, N-C analyse, ICP…
III. SPECIALIZED TRAINING
· Undergraduate program:
Introduction of Food Crops; Specialized Food Crops , Root and Tuber Crops, Rice Plant Science, Upland Cereal Crops, Principles of Crop Production and Forage crops, Principles of Crop Production (in English), and Principles of Crop Production in Tropics and Temperate Systems (in English).
· Master program: Advanced Root and Tuber Crops; Advanced Rice Plant Science; Advanced Upland Cereal Crops.
IV. RESEARCH DIRECTIONS
* Research subjects:
- Upland crops: corn, sorghum, millet, quinoa…
- Root and tuber crops: sweet potato, potato, cassava, Queensland arrowroot, taro, ...
- Forage crops: corn, sorghum, rice, millet, other grasses
- Biofuel crops: maize, cassava, sorghum, ...
• Morphological, physiological, and ecological traits; Plant nutrition; Heterosis and its utilization.
• Evaluation on the expression and exploitation of traits and genes related to yield, quality and abiotic stress resistances.
• Improved cultivation techniques and integrated crop managements to increase added-values in food, forage and biofuel crop productions.
1. Improving Nitrogen Use efficiency of rice plant under low input condition funded by Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST). 2006-2008
2. Application of wireless sensor for simulation development and grain yield in several cultivars in Northern Vietnam basing on environment and nutrient factors, funded by Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) in cooperation with Multimedia University, Malaysia, 2005-2006
3. Extension of a model for non- free nitrogen application accompanied with planting density cultivation for F1 hybrid rice, funded by Ministry of Agriculture and Rural development (MARD). 2007-2008
4. Build up cultivation model of Millets (Setaria italica Beauv.) and Finger Millets (Eleusine coracana Gaert.) used for nutrient food in Mountainous Northern Vietnam, a project funded by Ministry of Education and Training (MOET). 2007-2009
5. Developing shorgum bicor for cattle feed in winter season, funded by Ministry of Agriculture and Rural development (MARD). 2008-2009
6. Development hybrid rice production in Vietnam, 2006-2008, JSPS, Japan
7. “Baby corn inbred line development and hybrid baby corn breeding” funded by Ministry of Education and training and Ministry of Science and Technology Vietnam. 2006-2008.
8. Numerical modeling on the mechanism of effluent loads from integrated farming system in tropical region, a project in cooperation with Kyushu university, Japan, 2008-2010
9. Improving benefit of rice production under low input condition in Red River Delta, from 2009-2010, funded by Belgium
10. Study on heterosis for photosynthetic and agronomic characters related to drought tolerance in F1 hybrid rice plant in cooperation with Kyushu University, Japan, funded by Ministry of Science and technology, Vietnam. From 2010-2011
11. Study on physiological and agronomical characters related to salt tolerance in rice plant, funded by Ministry of Education and Training, Vietnam, from 2009-2010.
12. Breeding sorghum plant for animal feed funded by MARD, 2011-2013
13. Project for development of crop genotype in Midland and mountainous areas in north Vietnam, funded by JICA, 2010-2015.
14. Study on physiological and agronomical characters related to salt tolerance in rice plant, funded by Ministry of Education and Training, Vietnam, from 2009-2011.
15. Optimizing fertilizer application for rice production in saline soil for coastal areas in North of Vietnam, funded by Belgium project, from 2015-2017.
16. Salt tolerance quinoa development in Chile, China and Vietnam, lead by Wageningen UR the Netherlands, funded by USAID, 2014-2017 .
VI. SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
Pham Van Cuong, Tang Thi Hanh, Vu Van Liet, Nguyen Thien Huyen, Nguyen Huu Te. 2015. Rice plant. Vietnam National University of Agriculture Press. Page 1160
Pham Van Cuong. 2015. Sorghum plant. Vietnam National University of Agriculture Press. Page 1-159.
Nguyen The Hung, Bui The Hung, Nguyen Viet Long, Nguyen Van Loc. 2018. Maize plant. Vietnam National University of Agriculture Press.
1. Hanh Thi Nguyen, Cuong Van Pham & Pierre Bertin. 2014. The effect of nitrogen concentration on nitrogen use efficiency rice (Oryza sativa L. subsp. Indica and japonica and O. glaberrrima Steud.) in hydroponics. Euphytica, International Journal of Plant Breeding. Vol. 198, Issue 1, pp 137-151.
2. Tang Thi Hanh, Phan Thi Hong Nhung, Nguyen Trung Duc and Pham Van Cuong. 2015. Evaluation the contribution of genes Gn1 and WFP1 to some traits of agrophysiology and grain yield in some newly developed rice lines from khang dan 18. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, Vietnam, Vol. 10 (No.). 18-23
3. Pham Van Cuong, Nguyen Thanh Tung, Nguyen Quoc Trung, Nguyen Van Hoan. 2015. The result in breeding imprvoved Khang dan 18 variety (DCG72) with short grow duraltion and low amylose content. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, Vietnam, Vol. 10 (No.). 37-43
4. Pham Van Cuong, Nguyen Van Hoan. 2014. Progress of rice genotype improvment and production in Vietnam. Japanese Journal of crop Science. Vol 83(1), P444-445.
5. Nguyen Viet Long et al., 2014. Association mapping of salt tolerance in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Theoretical Applied Genetics, 2014
6. Nguyen Viet Long et al., Identification of quantitative trait loci for ion homeostasis and salt tolerance in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Molecular breeding 2013.
7. Nguyen Viet Long and et al., 2017. Maize Yield and Planting Date Relationship: A Synthesis-Analysis for US High-Yielding Contest-Winner and Field Research Data. Frontiers in plant science 2017”
8. Nguyen LV, Takahashi R, Githiri SM, Rodriguez TO, Tsutsumi N, Kajihara S, Sayama, T, Ishimoto M, Harada K, Suematsu K, Abiko T, and Mochizuki T. 2017. Mapping quantitative trait loci for root development under hypoxia conditions in soybean (Glycine max L. Merr.). Theor Applied gen DOI: 10.1007/s00122-016-2847-3.