1. Prepare yourself in a responsible manner at all times in the laboratory.
2. Carefully follow verbal and written instructions at the lab area; If you don’t understand the direction or part of the procedures or experiment steps, ASK YOUR INSTRUCTOR BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THE ACTIVITY
3. Student is not allowed to work alone in the laboratory without supervision of lab instructor of technician. No student may work in the science classroom without the presence of the teacher.
4. When first entering a science room, do not touch any equipment, chemicals, or other materials in the laboratory area until you are instructed to do so.
5. Perform only those experiments authorized by your teacher. Carefully follow all instructions, both written and oral. Unauthorized experiments are not allowed.
6. Do not eat food, drink beverages, or chew gum in the laboratory. Do not use laboratory glassware as containers for food or beverages.
Horseplay, practical jokes and pranks are dangerous and prohibited
Work areas should be kept clean and tidy at all times
7. Be prepared for your work in the laboratory. Read all procedures thoroughly before entering the laboratory. Never fool around in the laboratory. Horseplay, practical jokes, and pranks are dangerous and prohibited.
8. Always work in a well-ventilated area.
9. Observe good housekeeping practices. Work areas should be kept clean and tidy at all times.
10. Be alert and proceed with caution at all times in the laboratory. Notify the teacher immediately of any unsafe conditions you observe.
11. Dispose of all chemical waste properly. Never mix chemicals in sink drains. Sinks are to be used only for water. Check with your teacher for disposal of chemicals and solutions.
12. Labels and equipment instructions must be read carefully before use. Set up and use the equipment as directed by your teacher.
13. Keep hands away from face, eyes, mouth, and body while using chemicals or lab equipment. Wash your hands with soap and water after performing all experiments.
14. Experiments must be personally monitored at all times. Do not wander around the room, distract other students, startle other students or interfere with the laboratory experiments of others.
15. Know the locations and operating procedures of all safety equipment including: first aid kit(s), and fire extinguisher. Know where the fire alarm and the exits are located.
16. Know what to do if there is a fire drill during a laboratory period; containers must be closed, and any electrical equipment turned off.
Protective gear has to be comfortable
17. Any time chemicals, heat, or glassware are used, students will wear safety goggles. NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS RULE!
18. Contact lenses may be not be worn in the laboratory.
19. Dress properly during a laboratory activity. Long hair, dangling jewelry, and loose or baggy clothing are a hazard in the laboratory. Long hair must be tied back, and dangling jewelry and baggy clothing must be secured. Shoes must completely cover the foot. No sandals allowed on lab days.
20. A lab coat or smock should be worn during laboratory experiments.
Correct protective gear must be worn in the laboratory
ACCIDENTS AND INJURIES
Report all incidents and injuiries immediately
21. Report any accident (spill, breakage, etc.) or injury (cut, burn, etc.) to the teacher immediately, no matter how trivial it seems. Do not panic.
22. If you or your lab partner is hurt, immediately (and loudly) yell out the teacher's name to get the teacher's attention. Do not panic.
23. If a chemical should splash in your eye(s) or on your skin, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. Immediately (and loudly) yell out the teacher's name to get the teacher's attention.
Never remove chemicals from the laboratory area
24. All chemicals in the laboratory are to be considered dangerous. Avoid handling chemicals with fingers. Always use a tweezer. When making an observation, keep at least 1 foot away from the specimen. Do not taste, or smell any chemicals.
25. Check the label on all chemical bottles twice before removing any of the contents. Take only as much chemical as you need.
26. Never return unused chemicals to their original container.
27. Never remove chemicals or other materials from the laboratory area.